What is PRP, or Platelet Rich Plasma?
You’ve likely heard about PRP. It’s all the rage with professional athletes and weekend warriors alike. So what is PRP and is it one thing, or are there different kinds?
The term PRP applies to a wide variety of similar, but quite different preparations made from blood platelets. Platelets are the little packets of growth factors and other natural healing molecules that help clot your blood. So if you were to get a paper cut, they would both stop the blood flow and also release healing growth factors to help get the local cells on course to heal the skin. PRP is created by centrifuging the whole blood drawn from an arm vein (or anywhere else) and concentrating the platelets in the serum. The idea is that more of a good thing is better than less.
Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections, Step-by-Step
This is an in-clinic procedure that involves a blood draw, preparation of the PRP, and the injection:
- Blood is drawn from a vein in the patient’s arm into a vial (typically 15 to 50 mL, or less than 2 ounces of blood is needed).
- The blood is processed using a centrifuge machine.
- Preparation of the centrifuged platelet-rich plasma for injection.
- The affected joint area is cleansed with disinfectant such as alcohol or iodine.
- If ultrasound is being used, a special gel will be applied to an area of skin near the injection site.
- The patient is asked to relax; this will facilitate the injection and also can make the injection less painful.
- Using a syringe and needle, the doctor injects a small amount (often just 3 to 6 mL) of platelet-rich plasma into the joint capsule.
- The injection area is cleansed and bandaged.
PRP is a relatively low-pain, low-risk procedure that uses your own blood to stimulate growth in injured tissues. Recent evidence suggests that PRP may be an effective treatment in managing pain associated with knee osteoarthritis.
PRP Treatment by Dr Zubair Mirza
If you are suffering from knee pain due to arthritis and find it difficult to carry on your daily routine due to pain and surgery has been advised, then, there is a good news for you (STEMCELL + PRP) non surgical treatment is available now which is given in clinical setting and takes around ten minutes, no hospital admission is required and results are absolutely phenomenal. The earlier you avail the treatment after start of the symptoms the better the results. You will be able to carry on your daily routine and even do some exercise and involve yourself in some sporting activities also. This is the latest treatment available anywhere in the world is also available at Dr. Zubair Mirza’s clinic.
In over weight patients the result is more satisfying if weight loss can be achieved. This weight loss treatment is also very important available at Dr. Zubair Mirza’s clinic. There are no side-effects to this treatment. Patients of any age can avail this treatment.